“Surf sports” is one of the cornerstones of the surf life saving movement, allowing competitors to pursue a healthy lifestyle and gain recognition for their sporting efforts at the same time.
Our sport forms a significant component of who we are as an organisation. From nipper to elite Ironman and Ironwoman, all our members have the opportunity to participate in local, state, national and international surf sports competitions. Unlike other sports, the purpose of our competitions is to improve lifesaving skills to keep our beaches safe.
To compete for the club, members must perform a minimum of 16 patrol hours each season. The required hours may vary for new Bronze Medallion members and SRC members so check with the Competition Officer to make sure you are eligible to compete. There are many disciplines to cater for everyone’s interest:
- Beach events – sprints, relay, flags and runs.
- Lifesaving events – champion lifesaver, patrol competition, first aid competition
- March Past
- Multi-discipline events – Ironman/Ironwoman, Taplin relay, surf board rescue race
- Pool rescue
- Surf boats
- R & R (Rescue and Resuscitation)
Annual Surf Events
There are a range of national, state and local surf events held during the year including:
- Australian Surf Life Saving Championships
- State Surf Life Saving Carnivals
- South Australian Surf Life Saving Championships
- Somerton Signature Challenge
- Australian Surf Rowers League Championships
- West Beach Nipperthon
- Brighton Jetty Classic