Somerton SLSC has a proud history in surfboat competition, with success at a local, State, National and World level. The surf boat team is an integral part of Somerton’s lifesaving and competition teams and we have seen an increase in surf boat teams for the upcoming season.
Our surf boat competitors race in a number of categories – Under 19, Under 23, Reserve, Masters and Open in both male and female. This season, the surf boat team aims to compete at all state carnivals, plus the Australian Surf Rowers League Open in New South Wales in February and have representation in the Interstates. We also aim to have at least two crews head to Freshwater in NSW for the ASRL National Short Course Championships in January, plus a number of crews head to Aussies.
Some success in the past 24 months include:
- 2017 ASRL SA Most Improved Club
- 2017 State Champions – Under 23 Men and Reserve Men
- 2017 Interstate Representatives – Under 23 Men and Open Men
- 2017 Silver Medal ASRL National Short Course Championships
- Four junior crews competed at the 2017 State Championships, the most from any club
- 2016 State Champions – Open Men and Under 19 Men
- 2016 World Championships – Masters 200+
- 2016 World Bronze Medal – Reserve Grade
- Five members chosen in Tier 2 of the Surf Life Saving SA High Performance Academy (the first Somerton members to ever be selected)
How to be Involved
The boat section is always looking for new members. If you want to be part of the surfboat competition team and the lifesaving community please contact Michael Whitford (Boat Captain) via email email@example.com or if you are a junior rower (aged 22 or younger) please contact Aaron Tannahill (ASRL SA Youth Development Coordinator) via email firstname.lastname@example.org or mobile 0474233139. Another
option is to come down to the club any weeknight from 4:30pm – 6:30pm and you will find the boaties either in the gym or on the water. Any current rower or sweep will be more than happy to help you!
Without the generous support of our sponsors the boat section would not have the calibre of equipment it has to compete at the highest level. The boat section would like to thank the following sponsors and supporters for their assistance:
- Connex Solutions
- Robin Johnson Engineering
- Big W
- Brighton Foodland
- Inca Constructions
- Team Navy
- ASRL SA
- Surf Life Saving SA