A unique opportunity exists for an experienced and energetic operator to further the food & beverage offering of the Somerton Surf Life Saving Club Inc, located directly on the Esplanade at Somerton Park.
Somerton Surf Life Saving Club is seeking Expressions of Interest (EOI) from interested parties to lease and manage its upstairs bar/bistro facility. This EOI is uniquely timed to take advantage of the Holdfast Bay Council’s coastal path developments, which, based on experience at Seacliff SLSC, is expected to channel significantly more foot traffic past the Club and increase its profile.
Artist rendering of new Surfclub Plaza
We envisage the successful applicant commencing their new business venture during the 2019-2020 Surf Life Saving season, which runs from October to April. We will consider all proposals on this basis.
Historically, the Club has managed the upstairs bar/bistro for both formal and informal functions such as weddings and birthday celebrations, as well as a training venue with paid staff. It has also run a Friday night bistro staffed with a mixture of paid staff and club volunteers. From 2016 to 2018, these were scaled back and the facility has been used almost exclusively for club activities. Feedback from our membership led us to temporarily reinstate the bistro for the latter half of the 2018/2019 surf lifesaving season.
The core business of the Club is lifesaving and, therefore, we are looking for a partner who will make the most of our facility and develop an offering that meets and exceeds the club’s requirements.
For more background on Somerton Surf Life Saving Club please visit www.somertonsurfclub.com.au
What sort of partner are we looking for?
- One that benefits the Club and its members
- One that benefits and maintains our current standing in the local community
- One that can accommodate and manage a Friday night Bistro (at a minimum)
- One that can support Club functions and annual events
- One that is self-supporting and does not rely on volunteers
What we can provide:
- The upstairs floor area and bar
- Full use of the kitchen and cold rooms
- The upstairs storage areas
- Balcony overlooking the beach
What we cannot provide:
- Balcony facing east overlooking Brighton Dunes/Minda Inc
- All downstairs areas, which includes the “Buddy Bar” in the club shed area which is open on Saturday afternoons and operates within the Club’s liquor license
- Liquor license for upstairs area
Other requirements / information:
- The interested party must provide their own liquor licence
- Any interior upgrades will be at the expense of the interested party
- Utilities will be charged back based on usage
- Any agreement made with Somerton SLSC Inc will be subject to Holdfast Bay council and other regulatory approvals
- The Kiosk on the northern end of the premises is leased to the current operator until 30th April 2020
Expression of Interest Process
|Submit name and contact information to: firstname.lastname@example.org |
Indicate your preferred information session
|Wednesday 05 June 2019 |
|Attend one of the club information sessions/tours||Session 1: Thursday 13 June 2019 |
Session 2: Wednesday 19 June 2019
|Provide your written Expression of Interest to |
Thursday 18 July 2019
|Somerton SLSC Inc Board of Management will provide a written response via email||Thursday 15 August 2019 |